Saturday, October 20, 2018
Home /  PAKISTAN  /  Afghan provincial governor sacked as security worsens

Afghan provincial governor sacked as security worsens


Reuters
KABUL
The provincial governor of Nangarhar has been dismissed as part of an administrative shakeup in a region of Afghanistan where security has sharply deteriorated amid allegations of widespread corruption among officials.
The departure of Mohammad Gulab Mangal was announced on Sunday in a short message by his spokesman which said only that he had decided to go for personal reasons. President Ashraf Ghani's office confirmed on Monday that his resignation had been accepted. He will be replaced by the current governor of Helmand province in southern Afghanistan, Hayatullah Hayat.
"Mangal could not perform the job the way that the central government and people of Nangarhar were expecting,"said a government official in Kabul who is close to the dossier but who was not authorised to talk to the media.
Prior to becoming Nangarhar governor in Oct. 2016, Mangal enjoyed a high reputation among Western officials for his competence in a previous post.

Subscribe to our Whatsapp Service

POST A COMMENT