Tuesday, September 25, 2018
banner
Home /  US  /  US says all eligible young migrant children reunited with parents

US says all eligible young migrant children reunited with parents

US says all eligible young migrant children reunited with parents


REUTERS
WASHINGTON
THE Trump administration said on Thursday it had reunited all eligible young migrant children with their parents after they had been separated when crossing the US-Mexico border, two days after a court-imposed deadline.
But nearly half - 46 of the 103 children under the age of 5 who were placed in government care - remain separated because of safety concerns, the deportation of their parents and other issues, according to the US Department of Homeland Security.
The administration had been required late last month by US District Judge Dana Sabraw in San Diego to reunite families separated under President Donald Trump's zero-tolerance immigration policy to prosecute all adults entering the country illegally.
Those separations occurred between early May and June 20 when Trump signed an executive order halting them. The Republican president had been facing a backlash for the policy, which some critics called a national disgrace. Sabraw on June 26 ordered reunifications for children under age 5 by July 10, and for more than 2,000 older children by July 26.
He gave the administration until 3 pm PDT (2200 GMT) Thursday to update him on its progress. The judge issued his order in connection with a lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union challenging the separations.
In a statement, the ACLU criticised the government's failure to meet the July 10 deadline, and said it was deciding what remedies Sabraw should impose.
"If in fact 57 children have been reunited because of the lawsuit, we could not be more happy for those families," said Lee Gelernt, a lawyer for the civil rights group.
"But make no mistake about it: the government missed the deadline even for these 57 children," he added.

Subscribe to our Whatsapp Service

POST A COMMENT