Friday, April 26, 2019
banner
Home /  Gulf  /  Yemen parties agree details of pullback plan: UN envoy

Yemen parties agree details of pullback plan: UN envoy

AFP
United Nations
Yemen’s government and Houthi rebels have accepted a detailed plan for a much-delayed pullback from the flashpoint city of Hodeida, the UN envoy said Monday, but no timetable was announced for the withdrawals.
The redeployment of forces was agreed in December under a ceasefire deal reached in Sweden that offered the best hope in years of moving toward an end to the war that has pushed Yemen to the brink of famine.
UN envoy Martin Griffiths told the Security Council that “both parties have now accepted a detailed redeployment plan” for the first stage of the pullback from Hodeida.
Griffiths said he received assurances from Houthi leader Abdul Malik al Houthi when they met in Sanaa last week that his forces would support the Hodeida agreement, but the envoy sounded a note of caution after so many delays.
“Let us be clear that when -- and I hope it is when and not if -- these redeployments happen, they will be the first voluntary withdrawal of forces in this long conflict,” he said by videoconference from Amman.
The United Nations announced a deal on the two-stage pullback from Hodeida city and its ports on February 17, but the redeployment failed to materialize on the ground and the peace effort has since stalled.
Griffiths said he was laying the groundwork for broader serious negotiations on ending the war in Yemen but added: “We all need to see tangible progress in Hodeida before moving to focus on the political solution.”

Subscribe to our Whatsapp Service

POST A COMMENT