Friday, December 6, 2019
Home /  India  /  India shares ‘all evidence’ against JeM’s Azhar with China for his blacklisting

India shares ‘all evidence’ against JeM’s Azhar with China for his blacklisting

India shares ‘all evidence’
against JeM’s Azhar with 
China for his blacklisting

IANS
New Delhi/Beijing
India has shared with China “all evidence” of the terrorist activities of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) and its chief Masood Azhar, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said in New Delhi on Monday as Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale held talks with the Chinese leadership in Beijing.
Gokhale is on a two-day visit to Beijing where he met Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and told him that Beijing needed to be “sensitive” to New Delhi’s concerns.
“We have shared with China all evidence of the terrorist activities of Jaish-e-Mohammad and its leader Masood Azhar. It is now for the 1267 Sanctions Committee (of the UN Security Council) and other authorised bodies of the UN to take a decision on the listing of Masood Azhar (as international terrorist),” the MEA spokesperson said.
He was responding to queries on the discussions that Gokhale held in Beijing with regard to proscribing of Azhar. Gokhale is understood to have made attempts to convince Wang Yi not to block a resolution to declare Azhar an international terrorist at a UN panel.
China has been blocking India’s move to enlist Azhar as an international terrorist, which is supported by countries like the US, the UK and France at the UN Security Council.
This has soured China’s ties with India where Azhar is wanted for plotting deadly terror attacks. Azhar heads the Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), which claimed responsibility for the Pulwama terror attack which killed 40 CRPF personnel on February 14.
JeM has been responsible for a number of terror attacks in India over the last two decades, including the one on the Parliament on December 13, 2001. There has been an increased pitch for proscribing Azhar in the aftermath of the Pulwama attack. Last month, Beijing placed its latest “technical hold”, for the fourth time, on a US-sponsored resolution against Azhar, a move that India called “disappointing”.
“India will continue to pursue all available avenues to ensure that terrorist leaders who are involved in heinous attacks on our citizens are brought to justice,” the MEA spokesperson said. Gokhale, in his opening remarks during his meeting with Wang and Vice Foreign Minister Kong Xuanyou said China should be “sensitive” to India’s concerns.
“We will work together with the Chinese side to deepen mutual understanding and strengthen mutual trust to implement the decisions that are taken by the leaders and do it in a manner where we are sensitive to each other’s concerns,” Gokhale said.
Gokhale, who was earlier India’s Ambassador to China, said both sides were working to implement what was agreed between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping at the Wuhan summit last year.
“It’s been a year since our leaders met in Wuhan and my colleagues, Vice (Foreign) Minister Kong Xuanyou and I have been following up on efforts to see that to implement the understandings that were reached at the meeting.

POST A COMMENT