Iran, US tension is a ‘clash of wills’, says Guards commander May 24, 2019 0 2905 12345 ReutersGENEVAThe standoff between Iran and the United States is a “clash of wills”, a senior commander of Iran’s powerful Revolutionary Guards said on Thursday, suggesting any enemy “adventurism” would meet a crushing response, Fars news agency reported.Tensions have spiked between the two countries after Washington sent more military forces to the Middle East in a show of force against what US officials say are Iranian threats to its troops and interests in the region.“The confrontation and face-off of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the malicious government of America is the arena for a clash of wills,” Iran’s armed forces chief of staff Major General Mohammad Baqeri said.He pointed to a battle during the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war where Iran was victorious and said the outcome could be a message that Iran will have a “hard, crushing and obliterating response” for any enemy “adventurism”.On Sunday, US President Donald Trump tweeted: “If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran. Never threaten the United States again!” Trump restored US sanctions on Iran last year and tightened them this month, ordering all countries to halt imports of Iranian oil or face sanctions of their own.Trump wants Iran to come to the negotiating table to reach a new deal with more curbs on its nuclear and missile programmes.Reiterating Iran’s stance, the spokesman for its Supreme National Security Council said on Thursday that “There will not be any negotiations between Iran and America.” Keyvan Khosravi was also quoted as saying by the state broadcaster that some officials from several countries have visited Iran recently, “mostly representing the United States.” He did not elaborate, but the foreign minister of Oman, which in the past helped pave the way for negotiations between Iran and the United States, visited Tehran on Monday.“Without exception, the message of the power and resistance of the Iranian nation was conveyed to them,” he said.In Berlin, a German diplomatic source told Reuters that Jens Ploetner, a political director in Germany’s Foreign Ministry, was in Tehran on Thursday for meetings with Iranian officials to try to preserve the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and cool tensions in the region. POST A COMMENT RELATED ARTICLES Trump may use Iran threat to sell bombs to Saudis without Congress’ approval: Senator May 24, 2019 0 156 Israel cuts Gaza fishing limit after fire balloons May 24, 2019 0 138 Palestinians won’t attend US-led peace meet in Bahrain next month May 24, 2019 0 141 Erdogan and Trump may meet soon, says Turkish official WASHINGTON: - Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and US President Donald Trump may soon have a face-to-face meeting, either in Turkey or on the sidelines of the G20 summit in Japan next month, a senior Turkish official said .. UN agency aiding Palestinians rejects US bid to strip it of mandate GAZA: The head of the United Nations agency that has supported Palestinian refugees for seven decades hit back on Thursday at a US proposal to have host countries take over the services it provides across the Middle East. .. Hamas sympathiser threatening to blow up Trump Tower arrested AFP New York A young man threatening to blow up Trump Tower and the Israeli consulate in New York was arrested Wednesday in New Jersey, the state’s federal prosecutor said. Investigators found a series of threatening .. Sudanese protest leaders seek supporters’ view to end deadlock AFP Khartoum Sudan’s protest leaders said Thursday they will seek advice from demonstrators camped outside army headquarters on how to break the deadlock in talks with the military council on installing civilian rule. .. Saudi downs explosive-laden drone from Yemen: Coalition AFP Riyadh Saudi Arabia on Thursday shot down a bomb-laden drone deployed by rebels in neighbouring Yemen to attack an airport in the kingdom, the Riyadh-led coalition fighting on the side of Yemen’s government said. “An .. Pentagon mulling US military request to send 5,000 troops to Middle East Reuters WASHINGTON The US Department of Defense is considering a US military request to send about 5,000 additional troops to the Middle East amid increasing tensions with Iran, two US officials said on Wednesday. ..